Nondestructive testing (NDT), also called nondestructive inspection or nondestructive evaluation, is a wide group of analysis techniques used to evaluate the properties of materials, components or structures without causing damage. S2X offers the following NDT services:
- INFRARED THERMOGRAPHY: Mapping the infrared response of objects and its correlation with the surface temperature, infrared thermography can support geometric survey and investigations on materials and structural details, as well as the analysis of the historical evolution of structures. It can be also used to disclose hidden damage or degradation phenomena.
- VIBRATION BASED TENSILE LOAD ESTIMATION: the axial load in cables and tie-rods is estimated from vibration measurements through the solution of an inverse problem; this technique is able to accurately evaluate the axial load in operational conditions without any interference with the use of the structure (no need of slacking and reloading operations). White paper 1, White paper 2.
- REBOUND HAMMER TESTS: it is a nondestructive testing method of concrete which provides an evaluation of the compressive strength of concrete.
- ULTRASONIC TESTS: Ultrasonic testing is a non-destructive testing technique based on the propagation of ultrasonic waves in the object or material tested. It is frequently applied to investigate the integrity and mechanical properties of concrete elements.
- SONREB TESTS: combination of ultrasonic tests and rebound hammer tests for the nondestructive evaluation of the compressive strength of concrete.
- SONIC TESTS: Sonic testing is a non-destructive testing technique based on the propagation of sonic waves in the object or material tested. It is frequently applied to investigate the integrity and mechanical properties of masonry elements.
- ELECTROMAGNETIC INSPECTION OF CONCRETE REBARS: it is applied for the nondestructive localization of steel rebars in concrete structures. It can also provide an estimate of the diameter of the bars.
- MEASUREMENTS OF CARBONATION DEPTH: They allow to check the degradation of concrete. In reinforced concrete structures, large carbonation depth is a favorable condition for corrosion of steel rebars.
- ENDOSCOPIC TESTS: Endoscopy can be used, alone and in combination with thermography, to identify the types of masonry constituting the structure. The direct visual inspection of cavities inside the investigated structural elements allows to verify the absence of voids or cores made of different and poor materials.
- IN-SITU SURVEYS: structural and geometric survey, including damage survey, plays a fundamental role in the analysis of existing as well as historical heritage structures. Photographic reports and technical drawings are the typical output of this investigation activity.
Successful and consistent application of nondestructive testing techniques heavily depends on personnel training, experience and integrity. S2X services in the field take advantage of certified professionals for consulting (survey plans) as well as execution of nondestructive tests. The test planning and execution by certified Level II professionals according to UNI EN ISO 9712 (ex UNI EN 473) ensures the legal value of the NDT report for insurances and court cases.
PROJECTS: Leonardo’s Park
BACK TO SERVICES SHARE